Wednesday, April 15, 2015

What's in a Name?

So... every time I show off my beautiful granddaughter the question comes up...What are they going to call you?
Of course we have always said....Whatever they come up with I suppose... but since the first one has been born and you take her in your arms you kinda wanna say something like "Come to grandma" or "Nana's got this"
We were talking about what Steve would be called... several asked if he would be pappaw and although that stirs so many sweet memories one day Steve leaned over little Bentley and said... I would love to be your pappaw but oh what a name to live up to! Pappaw was such a special man... adults loved him, children loved him, even animals loved him..... he had been a hard worker taking care of his family, he had served the church faithfully, he loved to spend time with family hunting, fishing, in the garden, playing... where ever he was. Yes... I think Steve is that man too... but for him.. it was just hard taking on that name... so... after a little thought I think Steve has become PawPaw... I need to make him a shirt with two paws on it!!
So of course conversations have turned to me... will I be Mers.. well.. Mers and MersP was my mom and grandmother.. they got their names from my nephew.. that was what he could say... and it stuck! They were both such special moms... giving to their family, taking care of others, serving the church and community...but no.. it just doesn't feel right taking on that "special" name that had been my mom... what about mammaw.. once again what a special special lady that did so much for others, her church and her community... that doesn't feel right either... When the name is said I look to see if she is still with us... making tea cakes and sewing special dresses for Ashley....So many names...
Ashley has really been leaning on calling me GiGi... LOL... not sure where that comes from... but it is different and fun... could I be a GiGi... I don't know... maybe... what will Bentley actually say... or perhaps it will be Cylus that speaks those words first... do I start saying things like "GiGi will hold you" or "let GiGi do it" just to try it out or see if it sticks.... hmmmm........I will love whatever they call me... just hope they call me often!!!


No comments: